The content of music journalism is rarely as sophisticated as its grammar. Consider this equivocal sentence from EW.com. What initially struck me as incorrect subject/verb agreement (“…a batch…struggle[s]…”) is actually a legitimate dependent clause (“….that struggle to break free…”) modifying the prepositional phrase (“of tracks”) as indicated by the plural pronoun (“their”) and plural image of “prisons.” In other words: EACH TRACK is confined to its OWN GORGEOUS PRISON (perhaps designed by Le Corbusier) with each prison containing a multitude of prison cells from which a multitude of musical ideas STRUGGLE TO BREAK FREE from an egregious BATCH (of MAMMOTH COOKIES?) incarcerating The National’s new album. Did someone say Prison Break!? I have a feeling there will be riots at Barclays. Or a huge bake sale. Thank you grammatical goddess Kory Stamper for the art of diagramming sentences, not yet lost to obsolescence.
2:16 pm • 17 May 2013 • 309 notes
if i hung out with you for any amount of time from mid-december to mid-may and took a photo of you on my phone then you are almost positively in this dumb thing i did
1:47 am • 12 May 2013 • 4 notes
a girl i went to high school with does porn videos now (and other updates)
next wednesday i am moving back to chicago for the summer. between now and then i have a final, a quiz, another final, and a portfolio due. when i get home i have to do a ten-page paper and turn that in. instead of working on these things i am going through my room. i have found several things that i lost and/or forgot about:
- my keys with blick preferred customer card and ninja keychain. i lost them presidents day weekend and had a breakdown. it was a bad weekend and i had to pay $50 to replace my keys. i also lost my dignity that weekend, i think, and that made me upset.
- a tiny zine sarah jean sent me titled “you, colin drohan”. sarah jean’s handwriting is very nice. i remember the one time i sat in a coffeeshop with her and we laughed every now and then.
- a hand-written letter my best friend wrote me senior year of high school. in it, he explained things i did that hurt me and those around me. the letter ended with him saying that regardless of what i did with this knowledge, he would care for me always. he isn’t the type of person to say things like this and that is why i love this letter. the pages are warped now because every time i read it i cry.
- a moldy loaf of gluten-free bread.
- a postcard of the mv explorer that a semester at sea friend wrote me at the end of our voyage.
- sunglasses. i haven’t worn them in ages because i haven’t worn contacts in a long time.
a girl i went to high school with does porn videos now. i watched one of them twice through. the first time i cried because i was so scared. it is a housemaid roleplay and it was terrible. the second time i cried from laughing so hard.
i haven’t found a summer job yet, but i’m okay with that. i’m going to take a lot of road trips this summer. i’m going to michigan and georgia and ohio. i’m going to visit my sister a lot in indiana. i’m going to go to ireland and live on my family’s farm for a while. i’m also going to go to iceland (inshallah). i’m going to spend a lot of time reading and writing and baking gluten-free desserts.
i registered today for the new york city marathon lotto. i started running again. if i get a bib (still unsure on how this works exactly), i’m going to run for afsp. i care about that and think more people should. i’m going to be “that guy running a marathon as a fundraiser” and you’re going to hate me but i don’t give a shit.
i am currently listening to the new pornographers and alternating between writing this and reading crush by richard siken. i am going to end this now. it is tuesday, may 7, 2013 at 8:42pm.
8:43 pm • 7 May 2013 • 7 notes
- something my grandma said this morning
8:04 pm • 23 March 2013 • 132 notes
the internet is depressing, i was happier in china where twitter was banned
4:00 am • 22 March 2013 • 326 notes
1. GLACIER by stacey teague
2. I’MMA SELL MY GUNS by cassandra troyan
3. OUR BODIES by stephen michael mcdowell
4. SAINT HELENS by kelsea basye
5.UNTITLED POEM by theo thimo
6. WHAT BEAUTIFUL IS by dave shaw
7. I KNOW NOTHING OF ANYONE’S BEAUTY by sarah jean alexander
8. THE YEAR OF THE GREAT FUCK UP by chris dankland
9. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU ATE TACOS? by colin drohan
10. CONGRATULATIONS by brittany wallace
11. TYPHOON by natalie chin
12. WE PLAY THAT GAME… by gabby gabby
13. LORRIE MOORE’S FIRST DRAFT by serge astapkov
14. GRAND PIANO by beach sloth
by Shabby Doll House
12:38 pm • 26 February 2013 • 98 notes
i spend most of my time telling myself i’m doing it right.
a friend told me he thinks i hate people that aren’t attractive and i think that might actually be true. i am allergic to gluten but consume it anyway, usually daily. every time someone sees my room i’m like, “it’s usually not this messy!” but i always say that, so it most likely is. i have issues generating small talk. i use too many napkins when i’m eating, too many tissues when i’m blowing my nose, and probably too much toilet paper when i’m doing things that require toilet paper. i’m bad–terrible–with money. i’m more connected with inanimate objects than with living things that care about me. i’m always scared that i smell bad. i pretend i’m more interesting than i am. i tell my parents i don’t believe in god but i’m beginning to think i’m scared of not believing in anything. i leave lights on for hours at a time when i’m not in the room. i didn’t cry at my grandpa’s funeral or my childhood friend’s funeral, but cried in my ap bio class senior year of high school when i thought the teacher was making fun of me. i am annoyed by most people around me, possibly even myself. i steal ideas from others but do not enjoy when others steal ideas from me. i fear that very soon, i will become the person who brings books to social events. i contradict myself too much. i blow off everyone to hang out with patrick or james, and am sad that i have not found people to replace them with in new york. i pretend i have a lot going on but compared to others i have nothing besides bad time management. i tell myself i know love but deep down think i’m incapable of it. i am unsure about a lot of things and how i feel about them.
2:30 am • 24 February 2013 • 11 notes
nothing is actually important
spanish final is in an hour and a half
i am sitting in the stern building
it is a scary place full of business people and obnoxiously flamboyant people discussing their required courses
i have yet to study spanish or actually work on my 8-12 page paper that is due tomorrow
ugly people piss me off
sometimes i want to grab them and shake them and let them know they’re ruining my life
i just heard an ugly girl say, “i’m usually the only white female in the group” (and she’s now defending the usage of ‘y’all’)
ugly boys telling their friend about the underwear they’re wearing: “oh my gaaawd, i only had this ugly pale blue underwear so i HAAAD to wear it and i’m like ‘ew, what am i wearing?’ ugh…worst day ever…”
i’m out of drink
gonna go buy juice maybe
i don’t care about this test or this paper and i’m going to talk to my professor later about life because that seems more interesting
10:49 am • 17 December 2012 • 5 notes
i’m seriously dying these are so fucking funny
9:09 pm • 16 December 2012 • 20 notes
“varúð” means “caution” according to google translate
today i took a fish oil, two .5mg klonopin, and two gummy vitamins. the taste of fish oil is still not growing on me. i don’t think it ever will.
i went to williamsburg to see the valtari film experiment. sigur ros commissioned a bunch of filmmakers to make shorts with the music on their latest album and they picked some of their favorites to show. the first one i saw was to “Varúð” which is one of my favorite sigur ros songs. i cried during it and i’m pretty sure my friend who i went with did too. i think it’s good that i felt both happy and sad while watching this short. i recommend watching it.
my friend and i were walking back to the bedford L stop when we saw a flea market/bazaar type thing. i asked my friend if we could go and we walked around for a while and i bought some art and also a new phone case and a christmas present for my sister. i hope she enjoys it.
i talked to katie danaher on facebook chat for a while and that made me feel very good. i am happy i am going home in 10 days and will be able to see everyone and for the first time in over a year we’ll all be able to hang out together. i have missed that group.
i have an 8 page paper draft, an autobiography for jonathan safran foer, and an 8-12 page paper draft that i should be doing. instead i am thinking about the following things:
- how i need to be doing those things
- how i am through trying to be friends with people and i am through trying to deal with other people’s shit
- how i would rather be working on my screenplay or things for my other art project
- how i need to do laundry
- how i need to buy shaving cream and toothpaste
- how i need to get sleep tonight so tomorrow i can do a lot of work
- how after december 18, i will have nothing to do until january 28
i am going to go listen to múm, a band that spotify calls “icelandic pop experimentalists” and do homework and drink apple juice.
7:59 pm • 9 December 2012 • 2 notes